From "Lexington" by Mary Wilson and Sharon Y. Asher, published sometime after 1975.
ENGLISHTON PARK TODAY
In walking through the grounds today one is struck by the peace and tranquillity of its acreage and, at the same time, the unfortunate lack of preservation and restoration of the estate, which in its day would have rivaled such old Virginia homes as Berkeley, Shirley and Mt. Vernon.
The twenty-three room manor house, reminiscent of Mt. Vernon, has been torn down as has the Tea House, tennis court, and pergola. The lily pond, which contained goldfish year-round, is now a tobacco patch and the formal gardens no longer exist except for a small section near the Old Spring. Only the stand remains of the sun dial, which is engraved "A middst ye flowers, I tell ye houres."
The large barn of concrete-steel construction, which cost $75,000 to build in 1914, is still standing as is "Rosebud Cottage," a replica of a log cabin built as a playhouse for Rosalind English. Both the laundry building and the carriage house are still standing as well as the small cottage used by Mrs. English's grandparents in their declining years.
Fresh water still runs from the old spring and a profusion of flowers bloom between it and the old hitching posts which remain standing near what once was the walkway from the drive to the house. The stone marking the burial site of Mr. English's beloved horse Santiago remains with its engraving visible:
Only a horse,
But one who faithfully served
His master and his country,
Was wounded in the Battle of Santiago July 1, 1898
Died October 4, 1922, age 30 years. Erected to his memory
By his affectionate master
Captain William E. English.
Although it is sad to see what has been lost of this valuable heritage, it is heartening to hear the laughter of the children as they play and to see the smiles of the elderly residents as they walk through the grounds in the evenings. For perhaps much of the physical estate is gone, but the spirit of the English family continues through programs for the elderly and children, which is a living monument.
Englishton Park from a satellite photo - March 1992
To see outlying areas go to the MicroSoft TerraServer.
Return to: Lexington - A Pioneer Town