From "Lexington" by Mary Wilson and Sharon Y. Asher, published sometime after 1975.
In the early pioneer days when travel was difficult many families buried their loved ones at their own home sites. They hewed out a coffin from a tree, marked the graves with rocks and chiseled out an inscription on a slab rock. Some graves were not marked in any way.
Approximately three miles east of Lexington where many early families first settled several individual burying lots can be found. The Hardy, Horner, Hasty, Wilson and County Farms, as well as many others, has such areas. Three other small cemeteries were located east of Lexington -- Black, Horner and Beaver.
The Lexington town cemetery was laid out in the plat of Lexington in 1813. The town rules stated that no burying ground could be located within the town limits. Therefore, it was located just outside of the community.
Sleds were used to move a coffin to the grave site. As progress made its way, they changed to the enclosed hearse drawn with two horses.
Coffins were first hewed out of logs. In the late 18th century cabinet makers also began making coffins out of Poplar lumber as it was easy to work with. They stained them with walnuts and various berries such as sumach and elderberries. The cost ran from three to five dollars each.
The following is from "Lexington Twp. Cemetery Book, 1813-1988
HISTORY OF LEXINGTON CEMETERY
by Joe Gibson
The Lexington Cemetery is believed to be the oldest cemetery located in Scott County. Jesse Hensley located here in 1805 and built a log tavern to accommodate early travelers at the crossing of two old pioneer roads. The cemetery was laid out in 1813. There are indications that there were burials marked with rough stones.
With Lexington being the county's first county seat, many of Scott County's early county officials are buried here.
Nehemiah Hunt, one of the founders of Lexington was buried here in 1824. Also buried here are one Revolutionary War soldier, 6 War of 1812 soldiers, 2 Mexican War soldiers and over 70 Civil War veterans and one of those is a Confederate Veteran.
For many years, there was a stone wall which enclosed the cemetery. Built in 1911. Trustee was Wesley Green; Charlie Shields, contractor; and Irving Middleton, along with many other workers, worked on the wall. Blocks for the fence were made at the old brick factory in the town. Through the years, this old wall has fallen and decayed. The last of it was being removed in 1987.
A flag pole was added in 1986 and was put up by Fred Cress, Omer Lynch, Jr. and Joe Gibson. The flag is raised on all national holidays and when there is a burial in the cemetery.
The cemetery is broken down into 5 different parts: The old center, 356 addition, Hall addition, Catholic addition and the English addition.
Several persons were removed from the Catholic addition after the Catholic Church left town. First person buried in the English addition was Raymond Shelton, 1971.
Perpetual care fund for the cemetery began in 1964. Clarence Dryden began the fund with a donation of $100.00.
Lexington Cemetery Officers 1988
Dale Renschler, President
Warren Shields, Vice-President
Maurice Hardy, Treasurer
Mary Cress, Secretary
Fred Cress, Member of the Board
Joe Gibson, Member of the Board
Omer Lynch, Jr., Member of the Board
Here are the tombstone inscriptions for the founders of Lexington and their wives:
Died Nov. 28, 1829
Aged 59 Years
Wife of Jessie Henly
Died March 12, 1806
Aged 32 yrs. 4 mos. 18 ds.
In memory of Nehmiah Hunt
who departed this life at
October 22nd, 1824
in the 60th year of his age
In memory of Mrs. Mary Hunt
who died Sept. 23, 1841
aged 61 Yrs. & 6 Mos.
Cemetery Surname Index A-L
Lexington Cemetery Surname Index M-Z
Lexington Cemetery Addendum
Return to: Lexington - A Pioneer Town