CENTENNIAL PROGRAM
October 13 & 14, 1945

THE SHARON HILL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Lexington, Indiana


100 YEARS THE LORD HAS BLESSED THE SHARON HILL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
REV. C. M. HANNA Minister

CHURCHES

Thank God for the heart of them,
The people who live as a part of
Praying and learning the things to do,
Giving and laboring, proving them true,
Mastering lethargy, selfishness, fear,
Dreaming of Heaven, building it here.

- C. R. Piety.


OPENING CENTENNIAL SERVICE
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 13, 1945

8:00 P. M.

HISTORICAL PAGEANT NIGHT

Prelude

Song -

Prayer

Announcements

Offering

Historical Pageant

Benediction


CENTENNIAL SERVICES
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 13, 1945
SUNDAY SCHOOL SESSION 10:00 A. M.

Superintendent ---- Norma Gean Kaag

Teachers:

Children' s Dept. ---- Ruth Wilson

Young People ---- Glenn Hensler

Ladies ---- Will Hensler

Men ---- Pete Chastine

WORSHIP SERVICE
11:00 A. M.

Prelude:

Call to Worship:

Invocation:

Gloria:

Hymn: No.333

Responsive Reading # 66 - Page 594

Hymn; No.476

Scripture:

Pastoral Prayer:

Giving of our Tithes and Offering

Congregational Response - The Doxology

Announcements:

Selection by the Choir

Sermon: Dr. Love

Hymn: No. 88

Benediction:

Choir Response - Threefold Amen


CLOSING CENTENNIAL SERVICE
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14, 1945
2:00 P. M.

REV. C. M. HANNA, Presiding

Recognition of former ministers, members and friends.

Reading of letters from former members and friends.

Recognition of visiting churches.

Recognition of churches in the Todd-Dickey Parish.

The Lord's Supper

Benediction


HISTORICAL FACTS

The land the church is built on was given by Mr. and Mrs. John Wilson and Mr. and Mrs. Simon L. Clever. Orlando Wilson, the present owner of the Wilson farm from which part of the land was given, is the great grandson of Mr. and Mrs. John Wilson. Paul Jackson, grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Clever, is the owner of part of the original Clever farm from which the other part of the land was given.

The first church was built of logs.

The pulpit chairs used in the Historical Pageant, were built 100 years ago by some of the charter members.

The present pulpit was built by Mr. John Edgar Wilson about 1890.

The present offering plates were made by Mr. Will Hensler about 1920 - cut from a solid block of walnut wood.

The bell was given by Mr. J. B. Epply, about 1935.


MINISTERS AND CHRISTIAN WORKERS COMING OUT OF SHARON HILL CHURCH

Rev. John L. Henning
Rev. William A. Cravens
Rev. Francis W. Iddings
Rev. James L. Wilson
Rev. John Morris
Rev. Oscar Wilson

MISSIONARIES

Rev. Dan Iddings
Mrs. Minnie Arbuckle Iddings
Miss Victoria Arbuckle

FORMER MINISTERS

1845-1850 Rev. E. R. Martin
1851-1853 Rev. P. Bevan
1854 Rev. M. A. Remley
1855-1863 Supplied by Students
1863 Rev. E. R. Martin
1864 Rev. W. W. Atterburry
1865 Rev. Mr. Parker
1866-1868 Supplied by Students
1868 Rev. C. Johnson
l869-l872 Rev. Thomas Whallon
1873-1879 Rev. John A. Campbell
1880-1881 Supplied by Students
1882-l885 Rev. Francis M. Gilchrist
1886-1897 Rev. Ambrose Y. Moore
1898-1901 Rev. Thomas M. Gessard
1902 Rev. W. R. Curtwood
1903 Rev. John H. McArthur
1910-1916 Rev. John S. Howk
1917 Rev. Andrew S. McKinnon
1919-1927 Rev. M. Rodgers
1928 Supplied by Students
1929-1930 Rev. H. A. Melville
1931-1934 Rev. David G. Davies
1934-1937 Rev. T. M. Greenhoe
1938-1944 Rev. C. M. Filer
1944-1945 Mr. Chal Henderson


HISTORICAL SKETCH

Sharon Hill Church is located on a beautiful wooded hill top, six miles west from Hanover, Indiana just off the Hanover and Lexington Road.

The Church was organized from a branch of the Hebron Church, December 20, 1845 by the Rev. E. R. Martin. Number of charter members is eighteen.

This Church was received under the care of the Madison Presbytery, April 2, 1846.

The people were served by the different ministers each of whom rendered outstanding services.

The present building was erected in 1873.

The Sharon Hill Church has been a member of the "Todd-Dickey Rural Training Parish", since May, 1944. This Parish is made up of thirteen Rural Churches in Clark, Scott, and Jefferson Counties. It is named for Todd and Dickey, two Pioneer Pastors in this area.

These thirteen Churches and Louisville Presbyterian Seminary are working together to train men for Rural Ministry, and at the same time enrich the program of the thirteen Churches. This pattern of Laboratory Training of Ministers under close supervision has aroused interest among Seminaries and Rural Church Leaders in many parts of the Country.

Today after 100 years of service to the community Sharon Hill is celebrating and thank-ing God for 100 years of blessing.

Let us not become weary in well doing. May the Church continue to point to men the upward way.


CHARTER MEMBERS

James Corrie
John Corrie
Jane Corrie
John Wilson
Mary Wilson
Martha McKeand
Jennet McKeand
William McKeand
John McKeand
William Wilson
Alex Wilson
Jennet Hastie
David Holmes
Nancy Holmes
Jerred Ryker
Elinor Ryker
Joseph Lowery
Bythima Ryker
Rev. E. R. Martin


Our Church has lived through three major wars.

MEMBERS SERVING IN CIVIL WAR

James H. Lowry
George H. Corrie
David Phillips
William Corrie
Samuel L. Henry
Fred VonDissen
James McKeand
George Morris
Alex P. McKeand
John Jackson
Israel B. Mount

MEMBERS SERVING IN WORLD WAR I

Clarence Renschler

MEMBERS SERVING IN WORLD WAR II

Kenneth Kloepfer
Harley Bryan Guynn
Porter E. Wilson
Murray Jennings
Harry N . Hensler
Harlan Means
Robert Kaag
Charles Stein
Dale Kloepfer
Gale Stein
Howard Stein
Dorothy Nichols Hash
Henry Wilson

Their sacrifice preserved the church and home, The greatness of our nation.


COMMITTEE ON HISTORY

Mrs. Isabelle Jackson
Mrs. Glenn Hensler
Miss Ruth Wilson

PUBLICITY COMMITTEE

Mrs. Raymond Wilson
Mrs. John Warman
Mrs. Bryan Guynn

COMMITTEE ON SPEAKER OR SPEAKERS

Mrs. Robert Maddox
Mrs. Henry Kaag
Mrs. Morton Vanosdal

If there are any errors or omissions in the entire centennial program they are wholly unintentional.

Signed by:
The Committees.


FAITH OF OUR FATHERS, LIVING STILL

Faith of our fathers, living still
In spite of dungeon, fire and sword,
0 how our hearts beat high with joy
When-e' er we hear that glorious word.
Faith of our father, holy faith,
We will be true to thee till death.

Faith of our fathers, we will strive
To win all nations unto thee;
And thro' the truth that comes from God
Mankind shall then indeed be free.
Faith of our fathers, holy faith,
We will be true to thee till death.

Faith of our fathers, we will love
Both friend and foe in all our strife,
And preach thee, too, as love knows how
By kindly deeds and virtuous life.
Faith of our fathers, holy faith,
We will be true to thee till death.


PRESENT OFFICERS OF THE CHURCH

ELDERS

Fred Hensler, Clerk
Elmer Kleopfer
Frank Stein
Morton Vanosdol
Harley Warman
John Warman

DEACONS AND TRUSTEES

Pete Chastine
Hartley Stein
Henry Kaag
Glenn Hensler
Raymond Wilson

CEMETERY TRUSTEES

Wilmer Wilson
Hartley Stein
John Selig


THE COUNTRY CHURCH

This is the church of the people -
In quietness it stands at the crossroads
And offers sanctuary
To the men and women of the earth.
There are no stained-glass windows;
There are no swelling choirs,
Nor deep and crimson carpets.
Instead there is a room - an altar,
And some pews;
And God is present with his people
In this sun-washed, shining room.
For these are the people of the earth,
The little town, the village, and the farm.

This is the largest church in the world.
This is the country church.

Janice Moore


Return to: Lexington - A Pioneer Town